Menu Close

Planner/Senior Planner – Infrastructure/Rail – Manchester

The Walker Sime Programme Management team is expanding!

Due to even more fantastic projects coming our way, we are on the look out for Planners/Senior Planners to join us!

As part of the wider Infrastructure team, which is the largest division within the business, you will be working alongside some of the industry’s most talented people.

We cover a vast array of sectors but in particular we are looking for stand out Planners to thrive on some of our Rail schemes.

Working across a portfolio of projects ranging in value from £0.5m – £20m, there will be plenty to get your teeth into. 90% of the scope is buildings related work; covering multi-story carparks, waiting rooms, ticket offices, retail/commercial outlets etc. Civils projects such as footbridges, platform alterations, canopy works and control centre refurbs account for the remaining 10%.

This is a long-term commission; with a portfolio that is constantly evolving and expanding.

Here at Walker Sime, we offer a flexible/hybrid working environment. We trust our people to get the job done and you are given full autonomy to do this. This role would ideally to based in our Manchester office 2 days a week, the remaining 3 days can be worked remotely. For this particular project there may be a requirement for travel to site 1-2 days per month (site base is the Northeast of England) Travel and overnight accommodation will be paid.

Outline of Role

  • Provide/Implement high quality planning and scheduling standards and expertise to project managers and clients.
  • Programme Reviews and health checks Identifying major quantities and factors affecting the programme and agree timeline.
  • Establish key outputs and supporting programme control reporting metrics.
  • Develop overall master programme for the portfolio, issue to all parties for review and implement recommendations, innovation, and best practice as applicable.
  • Apply resource levelling techniques as necessary.
  • Interface with third parties to identify and resolve issues.
  • Ensure the integration of project controls procedure into the project delivery process.
  • Production of monthly planning reports, resource updates and projections.
  • Production of reports informing of any schedule impacts and their effects of programme and completion including issue and acceptance of contractual change events.
  • Develop and maintain scheduling procedures for the assigned programmes.
  • Ensures major projects and Masterplans are integrated across all functional groups including finance, commercial design, and project management.
  • Sets objectives for own job area to meet the goals of the projects and assignments.
  • Works to achieve operational targets within job area.
  • Keep up to date with current developments and good practice within the industry.
  • Assist the AD’s/ Directors with business development and growing client base.
  • Assist the AD’s/Directors with the management/mentoring and guidance of sub-ordinates i.e. Trainees/Assistants/Graduates and Planners.

Experience Required

  • A recognised diploma or degree or be qualified by experience.
  • Significant experience in all aspects of Planning and scheduling, in Primavera P6 & MSP
  • Experience or knowledge of resourcing, progress measurement, earned value analysis, completion, forecasting and status reporting.
  • Experience across the whole project and programme life cycle.
  • Strong understanding of the primary forms of construction contracts and the key commercial terms.
  • Strong influencing and coaching skills and the ability to adapt approach dependant on the situation and audience.
  • Good report writing and presentation skills
  • Proven ability to communicate effectively with colleagues. Stakeholders and senior managers.
  • Strong IT skills

Desirable Experience

  • 4d and Bim knowledge
  • Experience within the Rail sector
  • Experience of working under different forms of contracts such as NEC3/4 IchemE/FIDIC

Apply Now

If you are looking for a new and exciting opportunity and would like to join our ever growing, talented and diverse QSI team, do not hesitate to contact Clare Gilmour or Emma Garner

Clare Gilmour (Talent Acquisition Manager) cgilmour@walkersime.co.uk

Emma Garner (Associate Director of the Programme Management Team) egarner@walkersime.co.uk