We’ve got a great new QS position up for grabs. And if you’re the right person for the job there’ll be no shortage of landmark projects for you to get stuck into, as part of our specialist Quantity Surveying Team based in Leeds.
At Walker Sime, we recruit for attitude and train for skills. So, if you bring the right character, we’ll provide what you need to reach your full potential – including things like creating the right working environment for you to grow, rewards for effort, and recognition for success. We aim to ensure our people and our business are future-proof, so we invest in training to equip our whole team with the skills for today and tomorrow.
About Walker Sime
Established in Manchester back in 1999 by Dez Walker and Jon Sime, Walker Sime has developed from a two-man band into one of the North West’s most well-respected Construction Consultancies.
These days, based out of three regional offices (Manchester, Liverpool & Leeds), our 100-strong team provides specialist services including; Quantity Surveying, Project Management, Commercial Consultancy, Bills of Quantities and Construction Design Management.
Our reputation as the go-to people for technical excellence and unrivalled client service is something we’re incredibly proud of. Always remembering that our clients get to choose the people they work with.
We get invited, often via client referral, to consult on a remarkably broad mix of briefs – working across public and private sectors on projects ranging from large scale infrastructure commissions to landmark regeneration, residential, commercial and hospitality developments.
The ins and out of the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the expanding Leeds team. There is plenty of scope for you to come in and make your mark, driving forward your career and progression with the support of our fantastic Director!
Providing support across many projects within the Leeds office – sectors including residential, industrial, commercial, fund monitoring and leisure.
As part of quantity surveying team, you will ensure client satisfaction through the development of Client Relationships and through the provision of excellent service delivery.
- Attend, where appropriate, any Client briefing meetings alongside a Senior or above
- Liaise with the Senior and review current scope of works on all live jobs that you are actively involved within
- Carry out Cost planning preparation including inputting, measuring, issuing and presenting
- Under the guidance of a Senior or above, together review any contractors proposals in detail including costs and quantities
- Any tender addendums to be issued, should be clarified as required and signed off by a Senior or above and issued where appropriate.
- Where appropriate arrange to meet with the Contractors to discuss their proposals and our role
- Work with the Senior or above to review any contract sums, query where necessary and agree the contract sums
- As appropriate, work with the Senior to produce a set of contract documents and ensure the contractors understand the importance of this
- Always make sure that any Contract Documentation is signed and in place before commencement on site. Liaise with the Senior where appropriate if this has not been done
- Work with the Senior or above on all projects from conception to completion, assisting with all day to day general activities on the schemes, including controlling the costs of the scheme on behalf of the client
- Attend any project meetings alongside the Senior and assist with any preparation for the meeting.
- Assist with the preparation of the monthly valuations, gain sign off and issue where appropriate.
- Assist with the preparation of the monthly cost reports, and issue to Client where appropriate.
- Administer and issue Variation Instructions, Contract documents, Tender documents and contract amendments
- Ensure attendance at progress meetings and document minutes, ready to issue to the rest of the design team
- Liaise with the Senior to deal with day to day actions and correspondence as required
- Assist with controlling and managing all financials, the project programme and any contractual issues arising
- Ensure all Walker Sime actions arising from the meetings are carried out
- Prepare and present together with the Senior, monthly cost reports to the Client
- Carry out valuations and prepare recommendation for payments
- Agree and value any variations
General Duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the Senior to achieve target deadlines set down by the Clients
- Liaising with clients, contractors and sub-contractors or any other members of the design teams on the projects
- Obtain up to date cost information from contractors and sub-contractor
- Contribute and share ideas which help to develop the quality of Walker Sime’s service
- Keep up to date with current developments and good practice within the industry
- Administer Quality Assurance in accordance with Quality Assurance procedures
- 2 – 3 years post graduate experience
- Relevant degree
- Working towards becoming chartered
- Pre and Post Contract exposure
- Understanding of NEC and JCT forms of contract
- Enthusiastic attitude who is keen to hit the ground running
- High attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
Some added benefits of working with us:
- Competitive salary
- Bonus based on company performance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Health insurance
- Death in service benefit
- Income protection
- Salary sacrifice schemes
- The chance to buy and sell annual leave (up to 5 days per year)
- 25 days holiday rising to 28 – extra day after 3 years up to 28 days
- Flexible working
- Car allowance – where applicable
- Company mobile phone – where applicable
- Subsidised work do’s and funded staff events
- The best Christmas Party in (or out of) town!
- Flexible working and working from home
- Learning and development opportunities and payment of professional fees
- Employee assistance programme
- Regular salary reviews
In return for all your hard work, we promise you a fun and positive place to work, excellent remuneration including a competitive salary, a discretionary bonus scheme, plus loads more benefits.
We’re a progressive and flexible employer and we recognise the importance of a healthy work-life balance which is reflected in our commitment to providing a home-life friendly working environment.
Diversity and inclusion goes way deeper than a tick in a box at Walker Sime.
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation. It’s what make us such a well-rounded, well-grounded work family.
If you’d like to be part of it, to apply please send your CV to Clare Gilmour: email@example.com