Permanent / Freelance
Manchester / Blackburn / Homebased
We’ve got a great new Quantity Surveyor / Senior Quantity Surveyor position up for grabs and if you’re the right person for the job there’ll be no shortage of landmark projects for you to get stuck into, as part of our specialist Quantity Surveying Infrastructure Team (QSI).
At Walker Sime, we recruit for attitude and train for skills. So, if you bring the right character, we’ll provide what you need to reach your full potential – including things like creating the right working environment for you to grow, rewards for effort, and recognition for success. We aim to ensure our people and our business are future-proof, so we invest in training to equip our whole team with the skills for today and tomorrow.
The ins and out of the role
Due to our current Walker Sime team doing such a great job, we looking to appoint an additional QS/SQS to work on secondment with one of our long-standing respected clients within the electrical power sector.
Delivering expert knowledge and service as an experienced QS / SQS you will partner with the client who is a Northwest leader within their field. To enable you to hit the ground running in this role, you will ideally come from a similar sector background, with proven exposure to projects involving underground cabling, substations, switchgear and overhead lines. However, this is not a deal breaker, if you come from an industry such as utilities with transferrable skills, we still would like to hear from you!
Seconded to client office on behalf of Walker Sime, you will primarily be located in Manchester, with the ability to work from home in line with company policy. Some travel around the Greater Manchester area may be required.
Primarily focusing on post-contract delivery you will manage schemes between the value of £100k – £10m working with NEC contracts under various options.
We are open to considering permanent and freelance candidates for this opportunity.
- Hold a degree in Quantity Surveying
- A full member of the RICS or working towards Chartership
- Proven experience within a (Senior) Quantity Surveyor role ideally within the Power sector
- Sound NEC3 contract experience – with a focus on options A and C
- High attention to detail focussed on successful project delivery
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to become embedded within a team to drive forward positive results
- Keen desire to build and maintain client relationships
Deliver a quality service to clients by carrying out the following tasks:
- Attend client briefing meeting alongside Principal/Associate Director
- Review current scope of works
- Cost planning preparation including inputting, measuring, issuing, and presenting
- Review contractor proposals in detail including costs and quantities
- Clarify and issue tender addendums if required
- Meet contractor and discuss their proposals
- Review, query and agree contract sum
- Prepare contract documents and ensure the contractors understand the importance of these
- Ensure the contract documentation is signed and in place before commencement on site
- Run and manage the projects from inception to completion, ensuring control of costs on the scheme on behalf of the client.
- Attend pre-start meeting
- Prepare and issue monthly valuations
- Prepare and issue monthly cost reports
- Administer and issue variation instructions, contract documents, tender documents and contract amendments.
- Attend progress meetings and issue minutes
- Deal with day-to-day actions and correspondence as required
- Control and manage all financial, programme and contractual issues arising
- Ensure all Walker Sime actions arising from the meetings are carried out
- Prepare and present monthly cost reports to the client
- Carry out valuations and prepare recommendation for payments
- Agree and value any variations
- Agreement of final account after completion of the works
- Release making good defects certificate 12 months after practical completion
- Oversee and run projects from conception to completion, managing and controlling the costs of the scheme on behalf of the client.
- Build customer relationships to ensure high standards of technical service, secure repeat business and develop profitable workload.
- Attend external functions to raise the profile of Walker Sime and to generate new contracts.
- Continually seek opportunities to publicise Walker Sime externally or to publicise specific achievements or projects internally.
- Identify opportunities with existing clients and contacts and follow up with PQS/Associate Director/Director to cross sell Walker Sime’s other services
General Duties and responsibilities
- Achieve target deadlines set down by the client
- Liaising with clients, contractors and sub-contractors
- Obtaining cost information from contractors and sub-contractors
- Contribute and share ideas that help to develop the quality of Walker Sime’s service
- Keep up to date with current developments and good practice within the industry
- Administer Quality Assurance in accordance with Quality Assurance procedures
- Assist the PQS’s/AD’s/Directors with the management/mentoring and guidance of sub-ordinates i.e. Trainees/Assistants/Graduates and Quantity Surveyors
- Preparation of fee proposals and managing the expenditure of time in line with fee proposal to ensure profitability.
- Mentoring and guiding employees within your team
- Managing and overseeing projects from inception to completion
- Agreeing and managing fees and fee forecasts, ensuring profitability at all times
- Continual aim to develop and learn management skills
- Ensure QA audit checks are carried out in accordance with the procedures and these audits are documented and evidenced on the system
- At all times ensure any potential risks to the business either client-related or staff-related are raised through the appropriate channels
In return for all your hard work we promise you a supportive environment, excellent remuneration including a competitive salary, a discretionary bonus scheme, plus loads more benefits.
Diversity and inclusion goes way deeper than a tick in a box at Walker Sime
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation. It’s what make us such a well-rounded, well-grounded work family.
To apply please send a copy of your CV to Clare Gilmour (Talent Acquisition Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively do not hesitate to reach out to Clare if you are a candidate looking to discuss this role further.