We’ve got a great new QS and SQS positions up for grabs. And if you’re the right person for the job there’ll be no shortage of landmark projects for you to get stuck into, as part of our specialist Quantity Surveying Infrastructure Team (QSI).
At Walker Sime, we recruit for attitude and train for skills. So, if you bring the right character, we’ll provide what you need to reach your full potential – including things like creating the right working environment for you to grow, rewards for effort, and recognition for success. We aim to ensure our people and our business are future-proof, so we invest in training to equip our whole team with the skills for today and tomorrow.
About Walker Sime
Established in Manchester back in 1999 by Dez Walker and Jon Sime, Walker Sime has developed from a two-man band into one of the North West’s most well-respected Construction Consultancies.
These days, based out of three regional offices, our 100-strong team provides specialist services including; Quantity Surveying, Project Management, Commercial Consultancy, Bills of Quantities and Construction Design Management.
Our reputation as the go-to people for technical excellence and unrivalled client service is something we’re incredibly proud of. Always remembering that our clients get to choose the people they work with.
We get invited, often via client referral, to consult on a remarkably broad mix of briefs – working across public and private sectors on projects ranging from large scale infrastructure commissions to landmark regeneration, residential, commercial and hospitality developments.
The ins and out of the role
Reporting to the Director/Associate Director of QSI your responsibilities will include:
- Attend Client briefing meetings alongside the Senior/Principal/Associate Director
- Review current scope of works
- Cost planning preparation including inputting, measuring, issuing and presenting
- Review contractors proposals in detail including costs and quantities
- Clarify and issue tender addendums if required
- Meet contractors and discuss their proposals and our role
- Review, query and agree contract sum
- Prepare contract documents and ensure the contractors understand the importance of these
- Ensure the contract documentation is signed and in place before commencement on site
- Run and manage the projects from conception to completion, ensuring control of costs on the scheme on behalf of the client
- Attend/chair pre start meetings
- Prepare and issue monthly valuations
- Prepare and issue monthly cost reports
- Administer and issue Variation Instructions, Contract documents, Tender documents and contract amendments.
- Deal with day to day actions and correspondence as required
- Control and manage all financial, programme and contractual issues arising
- Ensure all Walker Sime actions arising from the meetings are carried out
- Prepare and present monthly cost reports to the Client
- Carry out valuations and prepare recommendation for payments
- Agree and value any variations
- Agreement of Final account after completion of the works
- Release making good defects certificate 12 months after Practical Completion
- Oversee and run projects from conception to completion, managing and controlling the costs of the scheme on behalf of the client
- Achieve target deadlines set by the clients and your line manager
- Liaise with clients, contractors and sub-contractors
- Obtain cost information from contractors and sub-contractors
- Contribute and share ideas which help to develop the quality of Walker Sime’s service
- Keep up to date with current developments and good practice within the industry
- Administer Quality Assurance in accordance with Quality Assurance procedures
- Assist the AD’s/Directors with the management/mentoring and guidance of less experienced colleagues i.e. Trainees/Assistants/Graduates and Quantity Surveyors
- Preparation of fee proposals and managing expenditure of time in line with fee proposal to ensure profitability
Must display sound experience working with Local Authorities
Solid experience within Highways is essential
Pre-contract experience with exposure to –
- Cost estimating / cost planning
- Procurement and delivery model strategy advice
- Design management
- Value engineering
- Experience in Business case writing and Value for Money (VfM) assessments
Post-contract experience with exposure to –
- Contract admin (NEC)
- Budget monitoring
- Commercial reporting and project reporting
- Change management
- Excellent communication skills
- Relevant degree qualification
- Chartered or working towards RICS (Walker Sime subsidise membership)
- High attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and positive can do attitude
Some added benefits of working with us:
- Competitive salary
- Bonus based on company performance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Health insurance
- Death in service benefit
- Income protection
- Salary sacrifice schemes
- The chance to buy and sell annual leave (up to 5 days per year)
- 25 days holiday rising to 28 – extra day after 3 years up to 28 days
- Flexible working
- Car allowance – where applicable
- Company mobile phone – where applicable
- Subsidised work do’s and funded staff events
- The best Christmas Party in (or out of) town!
- Flexible working and working from home
- Learning and development opportunities and payment of professional fees
- Employee assistance programme
- Regular salary reviews
In return for all your hard work, we promise you a fun and positive place to work, excellent remuneration including a competitive salary, a discretionary bonus scheme, plus loads more benefits.
We’re a progressive and flexible employer and we recognise the importance of a healthy work-life balance which is reflected in our commitment to providing a home-life friendly working environment.
Diversity and inclusion goes way deeper than a tick in a box at Walker Sime.
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation. It’s what make us such a well-rounded, well-grounded work family.
If you’d like to be part of it, to apply please send your CV to Clare Gilmour: firstname.lastname@example.org