We’ve got a great new Senior Bills of Quantities role up for grabs. And if you’re the right person for the job there’ll be no shortage of landmark projects for you to get stuck into, as part of our specialist team.
Our Bills team work on some of the most prestigious projects across the country, such as Manchester Airport Redevelopment, Everton Football Stadium, Edinburgh St James and Manchester New Square, to name a few.
At Walker Sime, we recruit for attitude and train for skills. So, if you bring the right character, we’ll provide what you need to reach your full potential – including things like creating the right working environment for you to grow, rewards for effort, and recognition for success. We aim to ensure our people and our business are future-proof, so we invest in training to equip our whole team with the skills for today and tomorrow.
About Walker Sime
Established in Manchester back in 1999 by Dez Walker and Jon Sime, Walker Sime has developed from a two-man band into one of the North West’s most well-respected Construction Consultancies.
These days, based out of three regional offices, our 100-strong team provides specialist services including; Quantity Surveying, Project Management, Commercial Consultancy, Bills of Quantities and Construction Design Management.
Our reputation as the go-to people for technical excellence and unrivalled client service is something we’re incredibly proud of. Always remembering that our clients get to choose the people they work with.
We get invited, often via client referral, to consult on a remarkably broad mix of briefs – working across public and private sectors on projects ranging from large-scale infrastructure commissions to landmark regeneration, residential, commercial and hospitality developments.
The ins and outs of the role
You’ll report to the Associate Director of the Bills team, and your responsibilities will include:
- Production of Bills of Quantities and/or Detailed Builder’s Quantities.
- Report to the Associate Director responsible for co-ordinating the Bill Production Team.
- Measure and Bill work items as required, in accordance with the method of measurement requested by our clients.
- Allocate work to quantity surveyors on the Bill Production Team, agreeing timescales and deadlines as required.
- Assist the Associate Director in the delegation of large sections of BQ Work (or BQ projects complete) to other surveyors in the Walker Sime Bill Production team including surveyors working in or outside Walker Sime’s offices.
- Liaise with other members of the Walker Sime Bill Production team including surveyors working in or outside Walker Sime’s offices in order to deliver Bills of Quantities / Detailed Builder’s Quantities within the timescales set by Walker Sime’s Clients.
- Liaise with Walker Sime’s contractor clients.
- Prepare and issue query sheets as and when necessary throughout the measurement period.
- Monitor progress on each task or project and report to the Associate Director on a regular basis
- Log receipt of addenda information received during the measurement and billing process, identify any additional or abortive time incurred in dealing with the revised information and report to the Associate Director.
- On compete BQ Projects, under the direction of the Associate Director, collate bill sections from each surveyor and carry out an initial QA check (reading over), notify surveyors if any anomalies are identified requiring clarification or correction.
- Issue collated Bills of Quantities/Detailed builder’s Quantities or Bill Sections to our Contractor Clients
- Ensure all back-up work for the Bill measurement, including dim measurements and marked up drawings are stored for future reference
- Advising the Associate Director of any necessary amendments following QA checks.
- Assist in the development of computer-aided measurement systems within Walker Sime, including Navisworks and CostX.
Don’t panic! We won’t be setting you formal sales targets and we never expect any of our people to give it the hard sell. Perish the thought! But at Walker Sime business development is seen as a shared responsibility and you’ll be expected to have your finger on the commercial pulse.
- Assist in maintaining customer relationships to ensure high standards of technical service, secure repeat business and develop profitable workload
- Attend relevant external functions to raise the profile of Walker Sime and to generate new contracts
- Continually seek opportunities to publicise Walker Sime externally or to publicise specific achievements or projects internally
- Assist in identifying opportunities with existing clients and contacts and follow up with AD’s/Director to cross sell other Walker Sime services
Some added benefits of working with us:
- Competitive salary
- Bonus based on company performance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Health insurance
- Death in service benefit
- Income protection
- Salary sacrifice schemes
- The chance to buy and sell annual leave (up to 5 days per year)
- 25 days holiday rising to 28 – extra day after 3 years up to 28 days
- Flexible working
- Car allowance – where applicable
- Company mobile phone – where applicable
- Subsidised work do’s and funded staff events
- The best Christmas Party in (or out of) town!
- Flexible working and working from home
- Learning and development opportunities and payment of professional fees
- Employee assistance programme
- Regular salary reviews
In return for all your hard work, we promise you a fun and positive place to work, excellent remuneration including a competitive salary, a discretionary bonus scheme, plus loads more benefits.
We’re a progressive and flexible employer and we recognise the importance of a healthy work-life balance which is reflected in our commitment to providing a home-life friendly working environment.
Diversity and inclusion goes way deeper than a tick in a box at Walker Sime
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation. It’s what make us such a well-rounded, well-grounded work family.
If you’d like to be part of it, to apply please send your CV to Clare Gilmour: firstname.lastname@example.org